Not to sound cliché, but in Africa, love is truly in the air! And with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, it’s the perfect place to celebrate your love for one another. (Image to the left of andBeyond Ngala Lodge)
Imagine waking to the mist rising above the savannah plains, unwinding in a tranquil bush bath beneath the African sky, and enjoying an afternoon horseback ride through South Africa’s wine country. Whether you’re on an African honeymoon safari, anniversary safari, Valentine’s Day trip, or engagement rendezvous, Africa is arguably the world’s premier romance destination.
Below are the top 5 most romantic ways to experience Africa:
1. Discover complete privacy in the treetops: Built years ago as a photographer’s hideout for snapping stunning wildlife shots, the Lion Sands Chalkley Treehouse offers an escape from civilization and immerses guests into the African bush. Today, the Treehouse is used as a place for Lion Sands Private Game Reserve’s guests to enjoy private dinners and private sleepovers in the bush.
The Chalkley Treehouse is situated on the Lion Sands reserve and features a lavish double bed, dressing gowns, basin, mosquito net, lanterns, and a hot-water bottle. Guests can choose to enjoy a candlelit dinner for two in the Treehouse, or they can stay overnight, listening to the invigorating sounds of nature.
The Treehouse is offered as a one-night booking. The rest of your stay is spent at one of the Lion Sands lodges. Unless you wanted to stay even more nights in the Treehouse!
Two of the absolute best moments in this Treehouse are when the sun rises over the sprawling horizon (you’ve never seen a sunrise like this one!) and when the moon and millions of stars emerge at night above the treetops.
But I’m not sure words can do this experience justice . . . See for yourself in the photo below:
2. Visit old-world wine estates on horseback: Surrounded by dramatic mountains, and filled with quaint Dutch-inspired architecture, orchards, and vineyards as far as the eye can see, Cape Winelands is absolute heaven for romantics.
Most of the wine estates found within Cape Winelands are boutique in size, family-owned, and have been around for longer than a century. All of these characteristics ensure that visitors receive personalized attention and experience top quality wine tasting, cuisine, and accommodations without the hassle of large crowds.
And arguably the most romantic way to experience this spectacular wine country is on horseback.
Imagine saddling up in the morning and heading out into the vineyards on horseback, soaking the fresh earthy aromas, spectacular landscapes, and beautifully appointed estates before enjoying a private picnic within the orchards. After a tasty bite and a bottle of wine, it’s time to saddle up again and head to some of the finest boutique wine estates to meet with award-winning wine makers and try their wine masterpieces.
3. Experience the beauty of nature in a soothing bush bath for two: One of my favorite things to surprise couples with who are on a romantic African safari vacation, a bush bath takes couples into a deep state of relaxation as they enjoy champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and the sights, sounds, and aromas of Africa’s pure wilderness.
In fact, last year, we helped a couple arrange their wedding in Tanzania and we had organized for a bush bath to be placed out in the river for ample game viewing; it was a very romantic way to end the day!
Image above of a bush bath at The Hide in Zimbabwe
4. Dine along the Selinda Spillway with a candlelit dinner for two: At the Selinda Camp in the Selinda Reserve, guests can enjoy an invigorating dinner for two at the end of one of Selinda’s docks. This is truly one of the most romantic settings as lanterns and candles illuminate the walkway and dinner table. As you enjoy first-class cuisine with a fine bottle of South African wine, you’ll have a private butler / waiter who will tend to your every need during your dining experience. In addition to exceptional food and wine and superb service, you’ll also experience stargazing and some nighttime game viewing!
Image above of a candlelit dinner at Selinda Camp
5. Soar above the Masai Mara of Kenya on a hot air balloon ride with champagne: Not many people in this world have the opportunity to embark on a hot air balloon ride—especially over the scenic Masai Mara of Kenya!
Imagine soaring above the treetops and game-speckled plains as you sip on mimosas and watch the sunrise in the distance. The spectacle of colors, the feeling of weightlessness, and the sheer beauty of nature, all combine to create one of the most romantic settings in the world . . .
What’s is like to take a romantic African safari vacation through Hills of Africa? Here’s a look:
I absolutely love spoiling our clients who are on romantic safaris! Specifically, the Hills of Africa team makes sure that they are surprised with picnics in the bush, bush baths with champagne and strawberries, and other personalized touches.
Even more specifically, we had a recent honeymooning couple that was staying in Cape Town and we had a romantic surprise lunch set up at the Harbor House in Cape Town. We also once had a client who was staying at Tintswalo for their honeymoon and we organized for rose petals to be scattered from the place where the game drive vehicle dropped them off, all the way into their bathroom. Once they arrived in the bathroom, there were two bubble baths all set up and a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.
Another one of our clients proposed in Cape Town and we had set up a spot at the top of Table Mountain where he had proposed and then had champagne waiting in a secret location at the top of the mountain!
In a nutshell, we go above and beyond to ensure our clients on a romantic African safari vacation experience an unforgettable trip to Africa. Some of the elegant, surprise touches we add to romance-based itineraries include:
- Rose petals leading from the game-drive vehicle to your room and into the bathroom
- Rose-pedal-filled bush bath and bottle of champagne
- Private bush dinner
- Picnic with champagne on the beach