Does your mother love to travel, cook, or simply loves Africa? If so, take a look at my list of the top 10 Mother’s Day gift ideas related to Africa (and some travel in general):
1. a Taste of Africa cookbook: In an effort to share the flavors of Africa with the world, I recently created an African recipe book called a Taste of Africa. The book is comprised of more than 60 authentic African recipes from some of my favorite luxury accommodations and properties in southern and eastern Africa. Some of the recipes you’ll find in the book include:
- Stuffed mushrooms with potato rosti
- Homemade ice cream
- Lamb and butternut squash tagine
- Chicken curry
- Puree of butternut squash with mushroom tortellini
- Duck salad
- Prawn soup
- Quinoa pilaf
. . . and MANY more. You’ll find vegetarian dishes, meat dishes, seafood dishes, desserts, appetizers, and snacks.
2. A luxury travel bag: From weekend getaways to two-week-long hiatuses, a great travel bag can be used for any occasion. Some of our favorite brands include Pottery Barn and L.L. Bean. They make fantastic duffle bags that are attractive and durable.
Image above taken from the Pottery Barn website
3. A trip to Africa (or even round trip ticket!): Ok, this is a BIG one; but who else deserves such an amazing gift than your mother!? Even if you don’t have the funds to buy her entire trip to Africa, at least grab the round trip tickets aboard South African Airways! They’re even doing a special now with round trips as low as $999 . . . Just saying . . .
4. Adopt a penguin for her: If your mom is a wildlife lover, then I absolutely suggest adopting a South African penguin for her. Visit the SANCCOB website for more details: http://www.sanccob.co.za/
5. Africa-made products from Skinny Laminx: We are in LOVE with Skinny Laminx (after being introduced to them by The Pretty Blog). Skinny Laminx not only utilizes some beautiful Africa-inspired prints, but they also create some high-quality products, including bags, pillows, towels, napkins, and more. They even sell fabric. Although they are based in South Africa, you can purchase their products on Etsy! Visit them on Etsy here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/skinnylaminx
Image above taken from the Skinny laMinx Etsy page
6. A bottle of fine African wine: South Africa is one of the leading producers of wine in the world—and it’s no wonder. Not only is the climate perfect for growing and harvesting grapes, but the winemakers in the wine-producing South African regions are BRILLIANT. You can even tour the Cape Winelands if you take a trip to South Africa.
Regular grocery stores, as well as specialty wine stores sell a variety of fantastic South African wines.
7. Throw her an Africa-inspired dinner party: Create an unforgettable Africa-inspired dinner party for your mom with all of her friends. Here’s my little rundown on the items you need to host such a party:
- African music
- South African wine (which can be purchased in most regular grocery stores)
- A South Africa-inspired tablescape with bold African prints, animal prints, and African flowers
- Authentic African recipes from the a Taste of Africa cookbook (which you can purchase here.)
8. A travel magazine subscription: Help your mom dream of her next big vacation with a subscription to one of her favorite travel magazines. Some of the best ones include Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast, and National Geographic Traveler.
9. A high-end camera or binoculars: In my personal opinion, having a great camera or pair of binoculars can make a huge difference in your travel experiences (and memories!). Visit our Safari Gear Pinterest Board for recommendations on the best cameras and binoculars to purchase for an African safari vacation.
Image above taken from Amazon.com
10. A Field-Notes kit: Journaling travel experiences is a must. With a Field-Notes kit, your mom can jot down all of her favorite travel memories in one place and look back at them from time to time for a trip down memory lane.
Image above taken from the Field Notes website